The sun, with all those planets revolving around it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else in the universe to do.
I bet Galileo also loved his grapes for he chose grapes to explain the miracles of nature so beautifully! Grapes are one of my favourite fruits as well. I wait for the grapes season to arrive so that I can feast on them, especially the purple ones! Also there are endless possibilities of creating desserts with grapes and I never miss such an opportunity.
Here is the recipe of this stunning coffee cake with purple grapes. The cake is a simple lemon cake with little pockets of sweet and sour grapes giving a burst of flavour as you relish the it. The tartness of grapes balances the sweetness of cake very well. The cinnamon added along with the grapes gives a boost to the flavour.
- Butter – 125g
- Caster Sugar – 220 g
- Lemon zest – 1 tbsp
- Eggs large – 2
- All purpose flour – 2.5 cups
- Baking powder – 1tsp
- Milk – 1 cup
- Purple grapes – 2 cups
- Brown Sugar – 60 g
- Cinnamon powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cut the grapes into half if they are big and toss them in a mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon powder. Set them aside in a bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Beat in the lemon zest.
- Beat in eggs one by one to incorporate.
- Sift the flour along with baking powder. Fold in the flour into the butter sugar mixture alternately with milk, till a smooth batter is formed. Do not overmix.
- Spread half of the batter in a 9” round pan. Spoon 3/4 of the grapes mixture and cover with the remaining batter. Spread the remaining grapes mixture and swirl with a skewer or knife to create a ripple effect.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for 45-50 min or till done.
- Cut wedges and serve warm or cold.
This cake can be served by drizzling icing sugar over it lightly. It can also be served with vanilla or black currant icecream. The purple grapes can be replaced with any tart seasonal fruits like strawberries or plums.
Happy Baking !
2 Replies to “Coffee Cake with purple grapes”
Nice one shall try and post !