Some time back, I had shared an easy recipe on brownie ( Easy-Peasy Brownies) and the readers asked for more of these hassle free recipes. Hence, here I am back again with yet another cake recipe with the current seasonal fruit mango. It is also a one bowl kind of recipe! Most ingredients used in this recipe are very easily available at home.
This mango cake is a take on the classic southern skillet cakes and is an eggless one. All you require is a lot of this fresh fruit and that is what makes this cake scrumptious. Here is how you go about making this cake :
- Unsalted butter – 120 g
- Caster Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Flour – 1 cup
- Baking powder – 2 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Milk 1 cup
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Mangoes – 5
- Sift together flour and baking powder. Mix caster sugar and a pinch of salt into it. This is the dry mixture.
- Melt butter in a large microwave safe bowl. Mix milk, juice and zest of a lemon in it. This is the wet mixture.
- Peel the mangoes and chop them in big dice. Keep aside.
- Fold in the dry mixture into the wet mixture till just combined. Do not over mix.
- Grease 9-10 inch cake tin at the base as well as the sides. Pour the batter into the prepared tin. and distribute the mango pieces into the batter evenly.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 175 ° C for one hour. Just when last couple of minutes are left, brush the top of the cake very lightly with butter and sprinkle some powdered sugar over it. Keep the cake tin closer to the top heating rod. This will brown the cake on the top.
- After the cake is done, let it rest for 10 minutes. Serve a slice hot with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.
Really a “piece of cake ” isn’t it? This cake should be made just before the serving time to be served straight out of the oven. It tastes better that way. Also more the mangoes the merrier! Having said that the quantity of batter should balance that of mangoes for you to cut a decent wedge. The cake can be baked in any cake pan with diameter from 9 inches to 12 inches. The baking time will vary accordingly. The cake has a pudding like consistency due to the amount of fruit used. Mangoes can be easily replaced by any seasonal fruits like apple, fig, plum, strawberry etc. If you plan to use tart fruits like plums and strawberries, omit the lemon juice and increase the sugar to upto 1 cup.
Good alphonso mangoes are in season now. So what are you waiting for?