Its been raining cats and dogs and the weather is just perfect to stay indoors, grab a book or just look out of the window watching raindrops trickling down the window pane. This picture becomes perfect if you are also holding a cup of piping hot soup in your hand and sipping it while pondering over life matters!
My personal favourite is a bowl or cup of hot, sweet and sour tomato basil soup. Everyone likes tomato soups, right from a infant who has just started taking something other than mothers milk to grandpa who is looking for some comfort food. Literally every household around the world makes their version of tomato soup and I am sure each one of them would be tasting distinct and yummy. I love my version of tomato soup because I can have it year round. In summers I have it cold and the rest of the year piping hot. It is flavoured with basil and has the goodness of carrots accompanying the tomatoes. Here is the recipe to a delicious tomato basil soup :
- Tomatoes – 4 medium (250 g)
- Carrots – 1 medium (100 g)
- Onions – 1 medium (100 g)
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- Basil – a sprig
- Salt – to taste
- Sugar to taste
- Cream while serving
- Cut tomatoes, onions and carrots to big dice.
- Heat butter in a sauce pan and fry chopped onions till translucent. Add tomatoes and carrots and stir for a couple of minutes. Add vegetable stock or plain water and bring to boil. Add a sprig of basil and continue cooking till vegetables are done. Cool the mixture.
- Remove the sprig of basil and blend the mixture to puree. Strain the mixture and season it with salt and sugar. This can be served hot or cold. To serve cold refrigerate till service time. To serve hot, bring the soup to boil and serve with a drizzle of cream and croutons.
I am going back to my book with a hot cuppa tomato soup. What about you?
4 Replies to “Tomato Basil Soup”
Yummy….and looks delicious.
I didn’t know it was this easy recipe. Thanks for sharing. Will give it a try soon.
Yes please give it a try and let me know how it turned out. Thanks.